Thursday, January 29, 2015

So Good They Can't Ignore You



The title of Cal Newport’s book, So Good They Can't Ignore You, is intriguing.  Most times people don’t believe in their abilities.  They don’t believe they qualify for the job promotions.  They don’t believe they have skills necessary to advance.  If you have a strong desire to accomplish your dreams, you need to remove the “self-doubt” obstacle.  You want to become the person “so good they can’t ignore you”.  You ask, “But how?”

As we continue to examine obstacles which stand between you and your dreams, let’s look at the definition of "obstacle":  a thing that blocks one’s way or prevents or hinders progress.  Is one of your major obstacles your income?  Previously you were asked, “Is your income too low for your needs?”  

When people have set their hearts on achieving something, their first response is “but I don’t have enough money to do that.” What does it take to invest in yourself in order to see positive financial results from the work you do; or the invention you develop; or an investment deal you undertake? 

The reason I am introducing you to Cal’s book is to inspire you to strive to reach your potential by showing that you may be well on your way to finding your passion and earning a higher income. You just don’t realize this. The interesting fact is Cal’s explanation clearly emphasizes we are not born with skills and talents.  These are developed over the years. 

Hard work is one of the secret ingredients to accomplishing your dreams.   Many success stories show this is true. When you pour yourself into your work, no matter how tedious your present job is, you will eventually work your way to a satisfying and fulfilling career.  You will be challenged to take on additional responsibilities in new areas and will be compensated for doing so.  

Bloom Where You're Planted

I know exactly what Cal Newport is referring to in his book.  In my high school yearbook, this little blurb was written about the plans I had for my future.

Travel consultant

Is what she wants to be?

The world is what Delores wants to see

With her high marks and charming laugh

She’ll be an asset to any staff.

I had my heart set on travelling yet I didn’t even come close to being a travel consultant or airline stewardess.  After a few short-lived jobs, I landed one with the credit union.  I would have never dreamt this would turn into a lifetime career.  As I weaved my way through our organization, hopping from branch-to-branch, job-to-job, taking education courses along the path, I finally landed my dream job as a financial planner.  Being a Certified Financial Planner gives me the opportunity to help people plan their financial futures.  It’s amazing how my love for math in high school and helping fellow students with this subject connected me to my present job.  I didn’t plan this from the beginning.

In his book, Cal Newport reveals, “Matching your job to a pre-existing passion does not matter.  Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how do it.”  I certainly can relate. The fact was I was a divorced single parent who needed a job to support my son and me.  One cannot be too fussy in this situation.  I was fortunate to have the job I did with the opportunities to advance as long as I was willing to learn.  Passion was developing as I worked.  Did I know it was happening? I can’t be certain.  All I knew was I enjoyed helping people which meshes well with what Zig Ziglar says, “You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough people get what they want.”

What About You

Do you feel that you are ready for a change?  Are you willing to hop on the next train going somewhere different than where you presently are?  Honestly, it doesn’t have to be significant; minor changes allow you to experience new things. 

If your desire is to improve your income, then you may start with improving yourself.  I agree totally with experts like John C. Maxwell, who says, you have to invest in yourself.  You must be willing to take a chance.  Focus on something that connects with you in a defining way.  Dig deep into your work!  Look with fresh eyes for opportunities you may have been missing in your day-to-day life.  Look for opportunities to help others be their best because this is a positive reflection on you.  Being a team player shows your willingness to cooperate.  Initially there will always be steep learning curves in everything new that you try.  Plow through the difficult challenges of learning new skills and relying on others to help you.  The best part is you will become victorious and achieve your dreams because you will be “so good no one can ignore you”.

No comments:

Post a Comment